Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Thing 15--infographics

Infographics may be a new buzz word, but making visuals in education have been around for a long time.  As a classroom teacher I used visuals similar to these to drive home a point or a message. Charts and graphs were used to enhance learning in my elementary classroom, and we even had students make them. But now these visual learning devices can be made with an app...by anyone, and at our fingertips.

I first looked at the long list of examples at Info.graphics. Then I looked at all of them available at Google images, and finally as I walked the halls at school, I saw many of these that give information, or instruct.  My favorite is the list on the English teacher's door that relates the top one hundred books to read...with images of the books and a short description.

Then I tried it for myself with iVisual.  What fun!  It made the task very easy, even an elementary student could produce an Infographic.

I am not sure how I would use it in my personal life, other than reading them for information. Professionally, this would be a very useful tool for students and teachers alike and could be used to demonstrate knowledge of a subject or relay information.


No comments:

Post a Comment